Port Vila is the capital city of Vanuatu, and it is also the largest city in the country. It is located in the south of the island of Efate, and is often the first place that you will visit when you arrive in the country. Although Vanuatu is full of things to see and do, Port Vila itself boasts a wide range of activities and attractions that will keep you busy, and here are some of the best.
Ekasup Cultural Village
If you would like to familiarise yourself with some of the traditional customs and practices of the local population, this is the place to go. Just a short journey from Port Vila, the village provides you with an opportunity to see live demonstrations of weaving, listen to stories passed down through the ages, see how traditional food is cooked and even watch traditional dancing.
This is one of the most popular attractions in Vanuatu, and it is located just a short distance from Port Vila. Whether you are visiting the island on a cruise or you are spending your entire holiday here, make sure you take the time to see these stunning waterfalls.
Surrounded by greenery, the waterfalls are incredibly beautiful. As well as simply admiring their beauty, you can go swimming in the pool, explore a nearby cave, go to the top to enjoy the view or even abseil down the rock face.
The Summit Gardens
These stunning tropical gardens are another popular attraction in Port Vila. Spread over 10 hectares, the gardens and the plantation are pleasant to simply wander around. However, you can also visit the Essential Oils Distillery to discover how natural oils are used to make candles and soaps, and you can also enjoy some stunning views of Hideaway Island.
Busy, vibrant and full of colour, Vila Market is everything you could want from a tropical island market. Open every day apart from Sunday, you will find a huge range of products here, from souvenirs to take home, to fruit, flowers and fish. Goods are inexpensive, and the prices are fixed so you don’t have to go to the hassle of haggling for your purchase. Meals are also cooked and sold in the market, making it an interesting alternative to eating in a restaurant.
Hideaway Island Marine Reserve
This lovely reserve is the perfect place to spend a day relaxing. You can go snorkelling or diving and see the colourful fishes, or just spend the day relaxing on the sand. It also boasts the rather odd attraction of an underwater post office.
Vanuatu Cultural Centre
The Vanuatu Cultural Centre promotes and preserves the cultures of Vanuatu, and it is a fascinating place to visit. It includes the National Museum of Vanuatu, which houses information on the history and culture of the country, as well as the National Library and more.
Here you can find out about local music, dancing and arts like sand drawing, a well as a collection of fossils and pottery. Video screenings are also held regularly. The social media pages of sites like cruisesalefinder.com.au are full of stunning pictures and visitor impressions of this lovely spot.
There are many opportunities to get active when you visit Port Vila, and visitors often take the opportunity to enjoy one of the activities on offer. These include abseiling, kayaking around Mele Bay, scuba diving, horse riding and even ‘blokarting’, which is also known as land sailing, and consists of riding karts along the beach blown by the strong winds.
However, one of the best activities in Port Vila is to go on a buggy off-roading adventure. Hop on a buggy and you will travel along beaches, through villages and across a variety of terrain as you get to explore the surrounding area.
Perhaps the best thing of all is to simply go off exploring on your own. Walk around the town at your own pace, sit in a café and watch the world go by, head to the beach and stroll along the sand, watch the fishing boats bring in their catches, and simply take it easy in this most relaxing of cities.
Discover All that Port Vila Has to Offer
Port Vila is not only a beautiful city, but it is also packed full of things to see and do. Whether you want to chill out on the beach, get off-road in a buggy or explore the surroundings on foot, you will have a fantastic time when you arrive here. So make sure you spend some time in the city when you arrive on your holiday, and enjoy all that it has to offer.
- London’s Alternative Must-SeesAs one of the world’s most infamous cities, London’s attractions are well known throughout the world. From the Houses of Parliament to the London Eye and Dungeons, a tour guide …
- The Luxury of a Roman HolidayThere are times when we all crave a little luxury. Modern life is full of stress and sometimes it seems to be getting worse, as the explosion of instant communications …
- The 3 Most Historical Hotels in ChicagoChicago isn’t just known for its famous sports teams, deep dish pizza, and windy weather. Historically speaking, some of the most famous landmark hotels are found in Chicago. Many notable …
- A State of Bliss: In Vienna, the City of DreamsOne of the most culturally renowned capitals in the world, Vienna is a wonderful mix of artistic and imperial history. With nicknames such as the “city of dreams” and the …
- Top European Cities for your Next Vacation AbroadEurope is the perfect place to plan your next vacation abroad; the Euro is trending lower against most major currencies, and with the continent’s intra-country transport networks working in top …